The following Best Practice Guides have been developed, or are in the process of being developed, by the CICMP. To view the developed Best Practice Guide list or to place an order click here for the order form.
1. Attracting and Retaining Qualified Craft Workers - Does a formal program/process exist to attract, recruit, hire and retain qualified workers? This Best Practice Guide will present the essential components of such a program, the program’s benefits and how to effectively utilize it to improve company performance. Metrics - cost per turnover and others.
2. Company Strategic Plan - Does the company have a comprehensive strategic plan and if so does it contain the essential components and is it utilized appropriately? This Best Practice Guide will describe the strategic planning process and its proven benefits, the essential components of a strategic plan and how it is utilized to effectively and efficiently conduct business. Metrics - Existence and correct use of complete strategic plan.
3. Construction Site Theft & Vandalism – Does your company have a formal program to reduce construction site theft and vandalism and, if so, does it contain the proven essential components and is it utilized effectively? Based on extensive research, this Best Practice Guide will present the essential ingredients of an effective program to reduce theft and vandalism along with how to implement it on company project sites. Metrics – Incidents of theft and vandalism.
4. Employee Career Paths - Do career paths exist for all company employees? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to develop career paths for all employees and the benefits of same. Metric - existence of career paths for all employees.
5. Employee Compensation and Recognition - Is your company aware of the competition's regional compensation structure inside and outside the industry? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to conduct wage and benefit surveys including the presentation of recommended formats. Metric - Value of wage and benefit package as compared to specific sector of industry by region.
6. Employee Performance Evaluations - Does the company conduct formal performance evaluations for all of its employees on at least an annual basis? Does the company have a process in place to assess whether performance has improved as the result of training? This Best Practice Guide will describe the essential components of a comprehensive employee evaluation, how to conduct one and what to do with the results to improve employee performance and company operations. In addition, it will present a process to assess whether performance has improved following training. Metric - whether or not performance evaluations are being conducted for all employees on at least an annual basis and at the completion of training and the resulting information used to improve employee performance.
7. Employee Training - Does the company financially support employee training? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to determine how much financial support is being dedicated to the training of their employees and what the industry averages are. Metric - percent of payroll spent on training.
8. Exit Interviews - Does a company conduct formal exit interviews? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to develop a formal exit interview process including needed formats and how to utilize the resulting information to improve company operations. Metric - whether or not exit interviews are being correctly conducted and resulting information used.
9. Information Technology Utilization - Does the company have a formal information technology utilization plan and, if so, is it being utilized in the correct manner? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to develop a company-wide information technology plan and how to use it effectively and efficiently to improve company performance. Metrics - Existence and correct use of complete information technology plan.
10. Key Financial Performance Indicators - Is the company utilizing the key financial performance indicators? This Best Practice Guide will identify the key financial performance indicators and how to calculate and utilize them to improve company performance. Metric - Specific financial performance indicators.
11. Monitoring Rework - Does the company monitor instances of rework and document causes and costs? This Best Practice Guide will explain how to monitor and document causes of rework, determine the results costs and how to use the resulting information to improve project and company performance. Metric – Instance of rework, average cost per project in percent and possibly others.
12. Post-project Reviews - Does the company conduct post-project reviews? This Best Practice Guide will describe how to conduct post-project reviews. Metric - Whether or not a company conducts comprehensive and correct post project reviews.
13. Productivity Improvement - Is the company formally measuring productivity? Does the company have a formal productivity improvement program? This Best Practice Guide will illustrate how to monitor and measure productivity and utilize the results to make improvements in processes on projects and in the company. Metric - Actual productivity versus estimated productivity.
14. Project Safety Performance - Does the company monitor project safety performance? This Best Practice Guide describe how to monitor project safety performance. Metric - OSHA statistics and EMR.
15. Quality Management - Does the company have a comprehensive quality management process that is being implemented in an effective and efficient manner? This Best Practice Guide will present the components of a structured system for creating project-wide participation in planning and implementing a continuous improvement process to meet and exceed customer needs and expectations. Metric – Rework incidents, costs.
16. Rate of Retention - Does the company monitor, document and utilize retention rates by project and as a company as a whole? This Best Practice Guide will describe a process to monitor and document retention rates along with the benefits of so doing and how to appropriately utilize the derived information. Metric - Rates of retention.
17. Skill Certification - Does the company utilize a construction craft worker skill certification process? This Best Practice Guide will describe the essential component of a construction craft worker skill certification process and how to develop and utilize one to improve project and company performance. Metric - level of skill certification.